Each year we have been in the Lowcountry, we have participated in more and more of the Watermelon Festival activites. We value the festival and it’s contribution to our community. This year’s festival is winding down but I want to give you my top five reasons you need to do all the festival things in your community!
1. Festivals are a great way to create community. New friendships are made. Old friendships are rekindled. We laugh together. Celebrate together. Dance together. Eat together. The shared memories last for a lifetime!
2. Festivals give our children roots. They learn about the traditions that have been passed down through time. They connect with their neighbors. They have an opportunity to meet community leaders and engage with them. It instills in them a sense of pride in where they come from. It reminds all generations what makes our community special.
3. Festivals encourage creativity and the arts. It’s a time for paintings to be displayed, crafts to be admired, and talents to be showcased. Arts bring people together across boundaries. It increases understanding between groups and underrepresented views. It preserves history. It gives hope for the future.
4. Festivals teach the importance of community service. The ability of people to work willingly together for the betterment of their community and themselves is a valuable resource that we can’t afford to lose. It enriches the lives of those serving and being served.
5. Festivals give joy! The long and short of it is that festivals are fun. We all need more fun in our lives and for one week out of the year, festivals give us a reason to go out and have FUN. Life is too short to not include fun.
So mark your calendar and make a plan to include your Festival in your life. It’s a BIG deal.